- Community Ronda Keeps Narco Concert out of CheranPosted 18 days ago
- Police Accountability Tour VideosPosted 25 days ago
- Did the cops Kill someone?Posted 28 days ago
- Costs of OPD’s Occupy Fiasco MountPosted 30 days ago
- #CheckPointFail on Veterans DayPosted 59 days ago
- Did the Feds Just Raid The YMCA?Posted 65 days ago
- 3 Years Ago Today in Oakland CA. . .Posted 66 days ago
- 1SMX: Strike in Mexico CityPosted 129 days ago
- Crossing the Line: The Oakland Police Department Versus the CrowdPosted 156 days ago
- When Police RiotPosted 168 days ago
- Did Oakland Police Plant a Gun on Somebody They Shot?Posted 173 days ago
- The Streets is WatchinPosted 181 days ago
- Why Did Oakland Police Kill a Man in Distress?Posted 185 days ago
- Lets Take This Show On The Road!Posted 186 days ago
- Videos of OPD Violence Reveal Serious Problems that Led to $1 Million Occupy Oakland SettlementPosted 191 days ago
- HPD Preparing to Attack HFT?Posted 196 days ago
- Drones, and Pigs, and Feds Oh My! WeCopwatch Season 1Posted 197 days ago
- The Ghost Of Chris Dorner? 4 Cops in LA Shot in 1 DayPosted 198 days ago
- Enemy Of The StatePosted 199 days ago
- NLG Victory for Oscar Grant ProtestersPosted 201 days ago
- Oakland Police Commands InaudiblePosted 215 days ago
- Oakland Police Shine Light into WeCopwatch CameraPosted 216 days ago
- “Pigs are Haram!” Undercover Police Confronted on May DayPosted 221 days ago
- Mayor Quan Drags Off Aggressive HusbandPosted 249 days ago
- Snatch Squads 2012! 1 Year after Oakland Police attack May Day DemonstrationPosted 254 days ago
- WeCopwatch on KPFA Speaking on Recent FBI RaidsPosted 256 days ago
- The Feds Are In Town (Multiple Raids Occur in Oakland)Posted 260 days ago
- Officer Frankel Claims That NOBODY Killed Kayla MoorePosted 267 days ago
- Oakland Officer Involved Shooting Is Kept Off The RadioPosted 279 days ago
- Oakland Police Shoot Innocent Teen in the FacePosted 279 days ago
New York Bill Would Make It A Crime To ‘Annoy’ Police
- Updated: June 6, 2013
This write-up was done by William Toler and originally posted to IndieRegister.com. Toler is also active with Carolinas Cop Block
Those elected to allegedly serve the interests of “the people” in the State of New York, as usual are working on a bill to protect some of their own: the police.
According to WIVB, legislators in the Empire State (fitting nickname) seek to make a crime to “annoy” a cop. The imaginative title of the bill: “An act to amend the penal law, in relation to aggravated harassment of peace officers or police officers.”
The bill states:
A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT.
If the bill is passed, it would go into effect in November and “violators” will face a felony charge and up to four years in a cage.
One of the bill’s sponsors, Sen. Joe Griffo, had this to say in support for the words on paper:
Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.
The station didn’t talk to anyone opposed to the bill, but did state in the first paragraph that it is “a move that could have far reaching consequences.”
While being annoying can be, well, annoying, it doesn’t cause harm to anyone or their property and therefore should not be a crime.
Legislation like this could lead to even more prison overcrowding of peaceful people and more police brutality. There are already people being arrested for “annoying” cops without there even being a law against it.
Antonio Buehler, co-founder of the Peaceful Streets Project, is currently on trial in Gonzales, Texas for annoying a cop. Back in March, Buehler yelled to an officer, “Go fuck yourself” after being made to leave a courtroom.
It would also be an excuse to arrest every Cop Block and Cop Watch member who record all encounters in an effort to achieve accountability. “Oh…you’re annoying me. You’re under arrest.”
A bill with vague language leaving it up to the interpretation of the officer, is the worse kind of legislation.
Joe Griffo (one of the bills sponsors)
Legislative Office Building
Albany, NY 12247
Utica, NY 13501
Pingback: (Video) Waukesha Man Detained While Filming Police - We Copwatch